We will be developing a list of links on this page to other organisations and to useful information.
There is a wide range of self-help information and support available on line that may help you to get an immediate answer to your query without the need to wait or make an appointment. For example:
- Advicenow provides information and advice to members of the public. It is run by the charity Law for Life and provides accurate information on rights and the law.
- Citizens Advice offer a range of information to help people solve their own problems.
Local and national services
- Advice Services Coventry – a site to help you find places to get advice in Coventry
- Adviceguide – online self-help from Citizens Advice
- Advicenow – an independent, not-for-profit website, run by the charity Law for Life. It provides accurate information on rights and the law
- Age UK Coventry – services for older people in the city
- Benefits Aware – the latest information about planned benefit changes changes with easy-read guides and tips, produced by Central England Law Centre
- Citizens Advice Coventry – information about services available and opening times
- Coventry Law Centre – offers free legal advice and representation
- Coventry and District Credit Union – provide low cost loans and savings accounts
- Coventry Cyrenians – provide a range of services to homeless people in the city
- Department for Work and Pensions – government agency responsible for the administration of social security benefits
- Feeding Coventry – an independent charity working towards a hunger-free Coventry by 2020 and the development of sustainable and just food policies.
- Foodbank – Coventry Foodbank can provide three days’ nutritionally balanced emergency food and support to local people who are referred to them in crisis.
- Information, advice and advocacy support in Coventry – details about free sources of help in the city
- Jobcentre Plus – contact details for new and existing benefit claims
- National Energy Action – NEA is a free service for people who are worried about their energy bills and keeping warm. For free practical advice to help save money on your energy bills call 024 7655 9191 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pension Service – help with state pension issues
- Roma Project – aims to tackle exploitation of the Roma community in Coventry and to advance their social inclusion within the city. Support is available on a range of issues including employment, education, health and social welfare.
- Sanctions hotline – tel: 024 7625 3160. Coventry Law Centre are running a telephone helpline (Monday to Friday, 11am to 2pm) to advise people who have had benefits sanctioned. They can help to challenge the decisions and get back benefits that have been withheld. Research has found that 90% of appeals on sanctions are being won.
- Universal Credit – new online resource for Coventry residents.