Thank you for expressing an interest in volunteering with us!
Through volunteering, you can help to make a positive difference to the lives of vulnerable people in Coventry. The contribution of volunteers is vital to our work and we want your time with us to be rewarding and enjoyable.
We know that people volunteer for many reasons; perhaps to give something back to the local community or get valuable work experience.
Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?’Doctor Martin Luther King Jr
Coventry Independent Advice Service (CIAS) is a registered charity providing independent advice and information on welfare benefits and debt/money problems. Our service is free, confidential and available to anyone living in Coventry.
- We help to identify and claim benefits, to challenge decisions, to advise on strategies for dealing with problem debt, to negotiate with creditors and to provide information and support on a range of other social welfare issues.
- Our service is delivered from community outreach venues across the city where we offer a mix of ‘drop-in’ sessions and booked appointments.
- Our service model is focused on reaching people where they live, in their own neighbourhoods, and in areas of greatest need.
- Our vision is for a city of empowered citizens. By offering a high-quality advice service, and empowering people to make informed decisions, we can make a real difference to individuals, families and the wider community.
- We can also use evidence gained from our service delivery to feed into local and national policy initiatives to influence lasting change.
- At the heart of our strategy is a commitment to reducing inequality and improving quality of life within the city of Coventry.
What can I do to help?
As a volunteer, you can get involved in many different activities. These include:
Administration and office support
- Providing much needed support in the office with answering the telephone and fielding queries.
- Helping with paperwork and other essential office tasks.
- Signposting and giving information to clients who contact us.
- Download volunteer administration and support role description.
Assisting with information and advice giving
- Putting people in contact with the help they need through signposting.
- Supporting our advisers with things like form-filling and other essential tasks.
- Providing good quality customer services at our public advice sessions.
- Download volunteer information and advice assistant role description.
Helping to raise funds
- Organizing local community fundraising events.
- Working with other agencies and local businesses to develop sources of support.
- Getting involved in fundraising campaigns.
- Download volunteer fundraising assistant role description.
Social media, marketing and PR
- Developing publicity and marketing materials.
- Helping us to improve our use of social media and our website.
- Attending events to promote the work of CIAS.
- Download volunteer social media and marketing role description.
How to apply?
If you are interested in volunteering we will need you to complete an application form.
Please read the relevant role description and use the application guidance to help you complete the application form.
Tina will be in touch once she has received the application. Please email or call 024 7562 1100 if you need any further information and advice.
Many thanks for taking an interest in volunteering for us. We look forward to hearing from you!