Advice in Willenhall

Please note that all our advice sessions in Willenhall are now based at the Wood Side Family Hub on Middle Ride (next to ‘The Hut’). We are not currently delivering any sessions from The Hagard Community Centre.

Drop-in sessions at Wood Side Family Hub are on Mondays (9.30 until 12 noon) and Wednesday (9.30 to 12 noon). Appointments are also available for more in-depth enquiries and help with forms.

Please see or contact 024 76521100 for more details.

Stoke Aldermoor service closure

It is with regret that we have to announce that we are currently unable to offer advice services in Stoke Aldermoor.

This has been a difficult decision but has had to be taken due to a combination of factors, including long term staff shortages.

Stoke Aldermoor residents are able to attend any of our other sessions across the city.  The nearest are at Willenhall and at Stoke Library but we have many others available.  Full details at

We apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Summer changes

Due to staff shortages, and some building closures over the summer, we need to make some temporary changes to our advice service delivery.  We strongly advise you to check our live calendar to see which advice services are running each day or to call us on 024 76521100 before travelling.

Please note that due to school holidays, our service at Spon Gate Primary School is now closed and will not reopen until Friday 14th September 2018.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Changes to advice services in Willenhall

Due to changes in availability of venues and other operational matters, we have had to make some changes to our regular advice services in Willenhall.

From week beginning 1st July 2018 we will be delivering the following ‘drop-in’ (no appointment needed) sessions in Willenhall:

Every Wednesday:
Wood Side Family Hub, Middle Ride (next to ‘The Hut’ opposite Willenhall Wood School)
9.30 am – 12.00 noon

Every Thursday:
Hagard Community Centre, Willenhall (opposite Heron Foods car park in the precinct)
1.30 pm – 4.00 pm

We also offer advice from several other locations across the city. For more information see our ‘get advice‘ pages.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Temporary office closure

Due to a major internal reorganisation, our administrative office will close at 12:30pm on Thursday 1st March and will not reopen until Monday 5th March at 9.30am.  During this time, our telephone lines will not be available and we may not have access to email.  We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Our drop-in advice services and appointments at outreach venues will operate as normal on Thursday 1st March and Friday 2nd March.  Please check for full details of our sessions.

Our administrative office will re-open as normal on Monday 5th March.

Showing our quality!

We are celebrating after being awarded the Advice Quality Standard (AQS), a nationally recognised quality mark for organisations providing free, independent advice to members of the public.

We are delighted to have been awarded the AQS as it helps to show people across Coventry, as well as those funding our service, that we are working to the best possible professional standards.  Our team of staff and volunteers have worked very hard to achieve the AQS and our Trustee Board will be making sure that they maintain these high standards over the coming years.

The AQS is awarded by the national umbrella group, the Advice Services Alliance.  The ASA Director Lindsey Poole said: “The AQS is a tough benchmark to achieve, particularly in challenging times for the voluntary sector and our clients and we offer our congratulations to Coventry Independent Advice Service for so clearly making the grade.”

We will display the AQS logo proudly, joining a community of over 650 organisations across the country who hold the AQS.